Stretton means place on a street, and Grandison comes from a family who lived in the area with a castle at nearby Ashperton in the thirteenth and fourteenth century.
Inside the church is a monument to Sir Edward Hopton 1668 and his wife Deborah, 1702. Many members of the Hopton family, who lived at nearby Canon Frome Court, are commemorated in the church because their own church at Canon From was destroyed during the Civil War. It has since been rebuilt. On the floor is a slab to Dorothy Jauncey, whose family lived in the parish of Stretton Grandison