Genealogists looking at Lyonshall with ancestors in mind, may be interested to know about life there in 1891. As with most of Herefordshire’s villages and small towns, the main employment was on the land, and the farmers of Lyonshall were proud of the fact that their cattle were “high-bred” and their Shropshire sheep “superior”. The main crops were wheat, barley, oats and turnips, but there was also a large area of excellent pasture. In 1891 the relatively new school was attended by 138 boys and girls, and the whole population was 828. Apart from the Estate owners, farmers, Vicar, and sub postmistress, there was also a Wheelwright, a couple of masons, ditto millers, one carpenter, a blacksmith, butcher, shoemaker and a bailiff. There were three pubs (oh how things have changed!), and also a butcher and a grocer. Most of the men would have worked on the farms, although some might have worked on the big estates or in the large houses. The women could have been washerwomen, or dressmakers.
The church is now some distance away from the village but it was not always so – those villagers who survived the Black Death in the 14th century moved and rebuilt their homes almost half a mile distant.